Recently a discussion on the importance of DNA testing of breeding stock and the cost of that testing took place on a SCWTCA online discussion group. The Endowment followed the discussion with great interest, wondering how we could assist breeders and owners with DNA testing their Wheaten Terriers. We have heard of other foundations offering discounts from specific labs to encourage DNA testing. We did not want to be tied to one lab and felt that, if we negotiated a discount, other discounts would probably not apply. Remember, we only receive updates from the University of Pennsylvania Veterinary School of Medicine on DNA testing that they perform. Furthermore, we wanted to encourage future and past DNA test results to be sent to the SCWT Database for ongoing research and to aid breeders in making informed breeding decisions.
Our goals are as follows:
- Encourage breeders to DNA test their breeding stock.
- Encourage owners/breeders to enter their Wheatens’ DNA testing in the database.
- Serve as a means to further reduce the cost of DNA testing on top of any discounts offered by labs.
- Support the PLN Variant Gene and PLE research ongoing at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine by entering DNA results of Wheatens in the database.
- Assist those breeders who relied on ‘Clear By Parentage’ for multiple generations as means to reduce the cost of further testing.
This program will begin in February of 2022, and every owner who sends their Wheatens’ complete DNA test results to the database will receive a $20 rebate per dog*.
We have set aside a specific amount of money for this project and hope that will encourage you to get past and future results into the database. We will keep you informed on our progress.
DNA Testing Rebate Program Rules:
Incentive: The SCWTCA Endowment will reimburse $20.00 per dog in US Funds max per Wheaten Terrier DNA Test submitted to the database for the year 2022. Please note, this is per dog reimbursement not per DNA Test.
Rules & Procedures:
- Full DNA results must be submitted and entered in the Database. Each entry must include owner name(s), address(es) and email(s).
- DNA Test from any previously tested dog is acceptable. This means if you did testing in 2012, you are eligible for the rebate if you add it to the database now. You may contact Meryl Littman at email@example.com if you no longer have the original email with the DNA results on your Wheaten.
- Pam Tinnelly is the contact person for disbursement of checks. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org. Kathy McIndoe will notify her after she receives DNA testing results.
- Reimbursement will be by check and in US Funds only.
- Reimbursement goes to the owner submitting the paperwork. If there are co-owners, they must decide who gets the reimbursement.
- Program is for the 2022 year.
- This offer only applies to dogs whose DNA results have not been previously submitted to the database. We do want to thank those people who have been submitting test results to the database for years. We appreciate your commitment to Wheaten Health.
- Only applies to direct mutation testing. For example, a panel that only includes phenotype is not eligible.